Monday, September 6, 2010

Bock bock buck bock! Love that chicken salad!

Tonight we wanted something yummy and Kevin and I thought chicken salad sounded yummy. The only thing is, is the thought of drenching chicken in mayo and adding a few seasonings didn't sound so good. My solution was this:

1 can of canned chicken thoroughly drained
1/3-1/2 C. plain greek style yogurt
half an onion finely chopped
1/3 C. chopped grapes
1/3 C. chopped apples
1/2 tablespoon of spicy brown mustard
garlic salt
pepper
paprika
onion powder
a few slices of your favorite bread (we picked up a loaf of Italian everything bread, and it was scrumptious)
a few slices of your favorite cheese (we used muenster)

Basically mix everything together and season to taste! I broiled the bread with the cheese slices on it for a couple of minutes to get the cheese nice and bubbly and toast up the bread a little. It was so good! A very light alternative to most chicken salad recipes. I will totally have the left overs for lunch tomorrow. Some other tasty add-ins would be chopped tomatoes, avocado, mandarin oranges, celery (especially if you are not an onion person this would give a nice crunch), chopped pickles, craisins, shredded carrots and if you were feeling naughty you could add some bacon bits. The nice thing was, it took maybe fifteen minutes to make! Next time I think I will make up some sweet potato fries to go with it... but alas I am too full to even think about that right now so on to last nights dinner which was also a success although, I am not sure how healthy it was. Oh well! So far Kevin has had three sandwiches tonight...

Stuffed Chicken Breast Cluckity Cluck!

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts thawed and then pounded thin ( make sure it is the same thickness throughout so that it cooks evenly)

Filling

one small can of olives finely chopped (set half aside for marinade)
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1/4 C. part skim ricotta cheese
Italian herbs season to taste
a few pinches of Parmesan or mixed Italian cheese (we used the mixed cheese it has Mozzarella, Parmesan, Asiago, and Fontina... the store brand is like two dollars for a small bag)
The juice of half a lemon or if it is small one lemon
Mix together and set aside.

Marinade
In a plastic bag combine
4 Tablespoons olive oil
Olives from filling
Juice of one lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic
Italian herbs to taste

Pre-heat oven to 350

After mixing the filling and prepping the marinade set them aside. Pound the chicken to the same thickness I think when I made this I pounded it to about one inch thickness. I then cut the pieces in half although if you wanted to be technical about it you could butterfly your chicken for the filling but cutting in half worked fine for me I just cooked it a bit longer. After preparing the chicken (cluckity! cluck!) go ahead and zip it up tight in the bag with the marinade and toss it around to coat the chicken. Leave it in the marinade for as long as you wish... I left it in for about 20 mins while I prepped everything else but I am sure you could leave it for longer. When you are ready to cook the chicken line a baking sheet with parchment place one half of one of the chicken breasts down on the parchment and spread a good sized spoonful of the cheese mixture down. Cover with other chicken breast, if you need to place a toothpick through the middle to keep them together. Repeat with other chicken breast. Cook in the oven until juices run clear and cheese is nice and bubbly. While cooking wrap 6-10 cloves of garlic in foil with a drizzle of olive oil and let it roast while the chicken is cooking. Check after about fifteen minutes if the garlic is soft and a little caramelized on the out side you can take it out, mash it and add it to mashed potatoes for a nice punch of flavor. Or you can add it with your favorite herbs, butter, some Salt and Pepper for a spread to put on french bread. Anyways, it took me about 45 minutes for the chicken to cook through and about 15 minutes of prep. So yummy! Both of us licked our plates clean. Some other add-ins for the filling or marinade would be pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, and fried prosciutto.

1 comment:

  1. I was motivated to try these recipes right after I read them...then I waited to long and now I'm scared. I am very intimidated by the culinary arts.

    ReplyDelete